Racing with confidence on EBC motorcycle brake pads and disc rotors

Racing with confidence on EBC motorcycle brake pads and discs

Here is the latest news from some of EBC’s assisted motorcycle riders who are racing with confidence on EBC motorcycle brake pads and disc rotors:

This month’s feature includes race reports from Leon Jeacock, Cormac Conroy, Dave Holden Racing, The Royal Air Force Classic Motorcycle Race Team, LRJ Racing, Daley Mathison and Maria Costello MBE.
Leon Jeacock in action!

Leon Jeacock – Geo E Davies Racing

Here is the latest race news from Leon Jeacock who’s been racing in the fourth round of the Pirelli National SuperStock1000 Championship at Knockhill Scotland on 16th – 18th June 2017. Leon has his Suzuki superbike equipped with GPFAX brake pads.
Here is the race report:

Leon and the Geo E Davies Racing team made the long trip to the North of the Border for the latest round of the Pirelli National SuperStock1000 Championship. They were using the weekend as a prolonged test session to iron out the mechanical woe that blighted the last round at Donington Park.

Leon Jeacock in action!The Knockhill circuit is a tad over a mile-long which results in fast and frantic laps. Going into free practice one Leon settled into a good rhythm and clocked a time just outside the top ten in eleventh place. Making changes for free practice two to further understand the nuances of the Suzuki left Leon still inside the top fifteen. The all-important qualifying session went well for the team and Leon qualified eighteenth for race one and seventeenth for race two.

Leon Jeacock in action!Leon was confident for a good finish and he rode a steady controlled race coming home in fifteenth and gaining a championship point. Progress was certainly being made and race two was looking good for Leon, making a good start he was in the midfield battles. Feeling confident he started to push and had moved up to twelfth when he was caught out by losing the rear as he pushed to make up more places and went through a gravel trap. The resulting diversion dropped him down to twenty third but he put in some quick laps and finished seventeenth just outside the points.

All in all a good weekend for the team and rider and they move onto the next round with confidence and more understanding of the Suzuki with improved confidence for the coming rounds.

Visit Leon Jeacock's media sites for more news and technical information:
Website Twitter Facebook
The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team in action!

Royal Air Force Classic Motorcycle Racing Team

The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team have been racing in round four of the CRMC at Cadwell Park on 15th – 16th April 2017, then again at Mallory Park on 10th – 11th June 2017.
Here is the Royal Air Force Motorcycle Racing Team’s race report:

Cadwell Park was a point on the CRMC calendar that many riders were very much looking forward to and it did not disappoint (well for most of the Team).

With this meeting following the Isle of man TT; it made timings difficult for Sergeant Andy Green and Sergeant Tom Flynn who didn’t get back from the Island until the early hours of Saturday morning, having participated on the Island as pit crew. This meant they missed the racing on Saturday but would later join the rest of the team on the Sunday. All other PC250 riders would be attending for the full weekend. Chief Technician (ret’d) Shaun Huston continues to mend having sustained injuries in a fall at Mallory Park during the previous meeting.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing TeamHaving had a short break between Mallory and Cadwell, most riders had done little development to their bikes. No less so than Squadron Leader Symon Woodward who was keeping up his pre-race Friday night tradition of “minor fettling” as he completed the finishing touches to his newly rebuilt Honda MT125 after the return from the “winter” repair of his frame and engine casings. Flight Sergeant Ian Ridley also hit issues with his motorcycle such as a mild exhaust “Misalignment” which with a little help was remedied before racing.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing TeamOn the Saturday morning with rain lashing down, team chatter was high. Some were Bigging up Corporal Gavin Heggs’ wet riding credentials after his impressive performance at a wet Mallory, which he frantically tried to play down, changing the focus onto Flight Sergeant Dave Bond’s 50+ laps of Cadwell practice a few days previously or Flight Lieutenant Jim Dickinson’s disputed very high BHP missile of a Yamaha.

Thankfully practice went soggily but without incident for all riders. Ridley was particularly pleased to manage more than a sighting lap without falling off in the wet for the first time in his racing career and Corporal Bartlett learned spark plugs need to be more than finger tight to work efficiently. The possibility of a repeat of Mallory’s Saturday racing on the cards left Woodward unfazed, Heggs hopeful and the others wondering why they do this.

Post Classic 125

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing TeamSqn Ldr Symon Woodward was the only RAF rider on the grid at this meet’s 125 group. Shaun Houston continues to recover post his fall at Mallory and Andy Green has chosen to rest his MT whilst he recovers from a back injury, something about being unable to fit on the bike.

Woodward races followed a similar pattern throughout the weekend. Finding himself somewhere in the middle of the pack he would tour the track thinking of something for Squadron Leader (ret’d) John Walton and Sergeant (ret’d) Paul Kirkby (on a guest appearance) to fix and come in early for a consistent trio of DNFs. In his own words “Nothing to report from Cadwell” Let’s move on to Croft.

Post Classic (500 air cooled)

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing TeamSymon Woodward, again the sole representative for the RAF on this grid, dragged out “Big Al” the Yamaha RD400 to race with the other big two and four strokes. Again, Symon delivered consistent results. See the previous PC 125 results for further detail.

Post Classic (250 air cooled)

The PC250 AC class saw seven bikes fielded on the Saturday and the full nine on the Sunday. Much self-inflating/deprecating talk had been made in the short build up to this race and Bond had even found time to get in a track day to give himself a firm advantage. It was now time to show who was “King of Cadwell”!

In their own words here are the unbiased (and truly accurate) accounts of the PC250 riders:

Race 1

The first race for this group was late on Saturday so they got to enjoy a dry track much to the lament of Heggs.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#15 Dickinson
With the bike running well and finishing races consistently, I was placed 6th on the grid for the first race. I was feeling pretty psyched up but it didn’t go exactly to plan. The start was reasonable and I managed to keep Bartlett and Bond behind me for around three laps but was annoyed to see some blue out of the corner of my eye coming out of Barn corner onto the main straight. I was also gutted to see a trail of blue paint and a Woodward shaped body on the floor at the chicane before the mountain, but Sy was smiling at the side of the track on the next lap so all good. I couldn’t keep in contact once Bartlett and Bond came past and finished four seconds behind Bond in 7th. Fastest lap was quicker than last year but I was a bit disappointed with the ride.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#41 Bartlett
With spark plugs tightened I headed out for the first race of the weekend. The rain had stopped and the track was mostly dry other than a few wet patches off the racing line, but nothing to affect the pace.  I started 19th on the grid and made good progress heading into the first corner. The bike was handling well and engine pulling strong (although not as strong as Dickinson or Woodward’s). Dickinson had started up in 6th place so he was my target. After the pre-race banter and confidence that Dickinson had been showing it was clear he was up for it and none of us would hear the end of it if he was able to beat any of the other RAF riders. As I was getting closer and closer to Dickinson each lap my opportunity came during lap three. Dickinson left the door wide open for me to go up the inside from Coppice into Charlie’s and due to carrying the extra speed around Charlie’s I was able to keep him behind down Park Straight. A quick glance behind revealed a clear track which meant I was on my own; however I was totally unaware that Bond was closing in (or so he says as I saw nothing of him!). I did however notice that in true Woodward fashion, who had started well, had made the evening before predictions come true. Most people had predicted a crash from him and sure enough there he was, flat on the ground with his bike in bits. This spurred me on knowing I was the front running RAF rider, racing across the line for 5th. Considering the pace of the front runners I was very happy with the result and my best lap time.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#51 Ridley
I was hoping a season peppered with DNFs and DNSs were behind me entering my first race at Cadwell Park. Having mostly dried up for the first race I was looking forward to getting out on the circuit again, however, while transiting from the holding area to the start line I was unable to change out of second gear, the gear selector becoming more loose as I tried. I pulled in to the pit lane entrance to check what was going on to find that the gear lever was slipping on the gear selector shaft splines due to worn splines, despite the bolts being physically tight. So that was my DNS for the weekend but I did get the bonus of watching the race from the pit wall. Luckily I had a replacement gear lever so that was easily sorted.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#54 Bond
Starting from the back because of championship position didn’t help, but after a good battle with most of the other team members (and a bit of touching action with Chief Technician Mick Rudd) I managed to battle my way up to 6th and 2nd RAF rider home behind “Senior Air Craftsman” Bartlett.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#71 Rudd
After a reasonable start I found myself chasing Dickinson and Bartlett. A task made harder by trying to negotiate a way past a couple of four stroke bikes battling each other. After going through the Mountain, I could hear a bike closing to my right, a small glimpse of blue paint identified a team mate. I pressed on into Hall bends, with the other bike millimetres to my side, and managed to maintain the position. The next lap saw an identical move but this time Bond managed to complete the move and passed me. I continued to push and the last lap saw me close up to Dickinson. An attempt to pass was made into the hairpin but Dickinson closed the door leaving me to follow him over the line for 8th place by less than 0.2 seconds. So far my X7 development is continuing well with an improvement of 10 seconds on my lap time from last year.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#74 Heggs
My first mistake was not reading the position sign on the way onto the grid so I ended up starting a long way back from where I should have. Many more mistakes would follow but too small and numerous to list. I caught Bartlett quickly from the start, however I gradually dropped back as missed gears and skill limitations took their toll. This left me riding with a slower bike which would occasionally remind me how to go round corners before disappearing behind again, eventually leaving me to finish in 9th. As it was my first race at Cadwell Park I was very pleased with my performance although it is hard to get excited by such a position.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#157 Woodward
With the 125 suffering post rebuild teething problems and “Big Al” (400) being temperamental and handling like a Barge I had better expectations of “Little Al” (250). Having finished every race so far on the Podium, I was leading the Championship and so started on Pole, what could possibly go wrong? I was one of three lead bikes which broke away at the front.  The bike was running well but my riding wasn’t, unable to get into the groove, which is so important on such a technical circuit as Cadwell. Whilst struggling to stay with Jerry Longland, I luckily avoided his bike as he seized at the end of Park Straight, handing me 2nd place.  I could see the leader but he was riding well and several seconds ahead. A sensible, experienced rider would consolidate their Championship position and secure 2nd. Unfortunately that was not me that day. I realised that chances of catching the Leader, John, were minimal but knew I had to pick my pace up to be able to compete in the rest of the races. Unfortunately this resulted in the bike and I parting company at the entry to the “new” chicane. Just to add insult to injury, as I wandered off the track, I looked up to see Corporal Craig Hornsby pointing his camera lens at me, oh what joy!

Race 2

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#14 Green
As I would have to start from the back of the grid, due to not being here on the Saturday, I opted to over gear the bike to allow myself a tall first gear for a good start. Practice was a quick two laps and then back out 20 minutes later for the first race. So back from practice, quick top up of fuel and then ready to go. Starting the race from the back row in 34th was OK as I had two other team members sat next to me. The flag dropped and I quickly made my way up the grid past Flynn, Ridley, Rudd, Heggs and finally Dickinson. Dickinson managed to out brake me at the end of park straight and he then managed to stay in my way until the end of the race where I finished 8th. I decided not to try and re-overtake him (of course Andy, totally your choice?) as he was keeping me chuckling away to myself watching his random race lines and his ability to miss every apex. His body posture gave a hint of sheer determination and panic to keep me behind him.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#15 Dickinson Sunday morning (after a study of my GoPro footage), I was feeling confident again. I got a bit too excited on the start line and spent too much time closing the throttle to control multiple wheelies. Woodward went up the inside into the chicane, and I was pleased to see he stayed on two wheels this time. Andy Green came past me at Charlie’s before I managed to out brake him into Park corner. As I did so, all I could think of was the move I pulled on him into the hairpin at Mallory and him saying ‘Dickinson showed promise’! I was determined to stay ahead of him and gave it everything I had. Staying ahead of Andy and trying to rein in Bond and Bartlett was the aim for the rest of the race. I managed to shave nearly five seconds off my best lap and nearly caught Bartlett, finishing 8th and only half a second behind him. My only consolation was a quicker fastest lap than the two RAF riders just ahead of me and I managed to stay ahead of the (still injured?!) Green.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#41 Bartlett
Our second race started early on the Sunday morning. The banter was everywhere and harsh. Bond was claiming to be on form, Dickinson claimed to have found five seconds per lap just by thinking about it! Even Green fancied his chances after missing the Saturday race. Bond and I started next to each other on the grid with Dickinson just behind us.  We all made good starts and I had the advantage all the way down into Park Corner where I was a little too helpful in letting Bond get through. I was able to keep Bond within a few bike lengths for most of the race but then halfway through the race Woodward came sneaking by with his massive horsepower advantage and I couldn’t keep up with that. Bond was still just ahead though, and after making a few errors ahead of me I was lucky not to have taken him out a couple of times. Bond managed to keep his lead and I made do with 3rd placed RAF rider and a similar best lap time as race one.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#51 Ridley
Sunday started much better for me with a quick practice to make sure the bike was fixed and all was good for the first race of the day. The bike still needs to go on the dyno to get the best out of it but I was able to catch up with Flynn through the bends only to have him pull away on the straights. I was hoping to make a move on him through Park and Chris’s Curve to the Gooseneck, however, having missed a gear at the Hall Bends on lap three the bike stalled and I was unable to bump start it before I ran out of momentum and pulled in just before the Hairpin. Thinking there may be a problem with the bike I had a quick look over it but it started first kick and I rode it back to the paddock for a DNF and another valuable racing lesson learned.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#54 Bond
I started in a better position in this race but I didn’t really capitalise on it. I had quite a lonely race to be honest which wasn’t helped by being passed by Woodward towards the end after being first RAF rider for most of the race – Damn it! The bike then developed a clutch issue that prevented staying with the fast 50 year old.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#56 Flynn
Having had an early morning return to the mainland on Saturday this was my first race of the weekend. After a pleasant tour of the track taking in the lush scenery of the Lincolnshire Wolds I was confronted with the chequered flag and 14th place.

#71 Rudd
The first race of the Sunday didn’t go well for me. It was soon apparent that the X7 had lost quite a lot of power from Saturday and wasn’t running well. Rather than risk engine damage I retired the bike from the race.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#74 Heggs
Our second race came on Sunday morning, again in the dry but plenty of wind.

I started well (from the correct position this time) taking a few scalps along the way. I was now up behind Bartlett and Bond, separated by two Ducatis. The Ducatis were slower but had blocked my attempts to pass on the back straight allowing Dickinson to sneak up the inside going into Park Corner. I however had the drive and happily slammed that door in his face. It might have been short lived but I certainly enjoyed it.

From there onwards I gradually dropped back being joined by another Ducati. We swapped places a few times but crucially he was a fair bit quicker through Mansfield where he took me on the last lap and I was unable to catch him.

I had shaved five seconds off of my previous fastest lap time so was very pleased even if the results of: finishing 10th didn’t quite reflect my improvement.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#157 Woodward
After a miserable Saturday, surely the Sunday could only get better? Yesterday’s crash repairs had been completed with just the screen missing and a less than cosmetically perfect right hand side to the fairing. After the first race, grid positions are decided on your fastest lap time, not your finishing place so I was awarded a starting position on the second row. Unfortunately, whilst riding to the grid position the bike cut out and was not interested in starting. I pushed the bike off the line whilst the rest of the grid went on their sighting lap. Some of the post-crash repairs had disturbed the ignition circuit, a quick fiddle and the bike was back on the road but I had to start from the back of the grid, #36, next to Green and Flynn. My only target now was to make sure none of the RAF lads (and Bond) made it to the chequered flag before me. As I cut through the traffic I had to admire how all of the riders are improving, making great gains in their riding.  As I crossed the line I could only recall passing seven RAF bikes, where was Bartlett? Had he beaten me (bad news) but at least it was not a Suzuki rider (good news)? After I returned to the paddock I discovered that I had beaten them all, (relief). I am not sure for how much longer though!

Race 3

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#14 Green
I had done enough in the last race; my lap times were faster than Dicko’s and the next few places up so I would be starting from 8th place.

My second race saw me get a good start again, I was fifth up the hill for the first left hander. The bike isn’t the quickest but held its own. I lost a couple of places on Park Straight and again through the long right hander approaching the Gooseneck. I’ve had confidence issues on that corner with that bike for a while. Faster or slower corners through the season are not a problem… Just that one! Symon managed to get past but the rest of the team were a good way back. I managed about three laps when going up the start finish straight the bike developed a misfire which cured itself. Unfortunately whilst looking down at the bike I had to move out of the crouch which made me uncomfortable due to a back injury, forcing me to retire to the pits at the end of the lap, gifting the rest of the team another place. (Excuses excuses!) I arrived back at the pit to find Bond looking puzzled at his X7. We all looked at Bond puzzled as to why he has an X7!

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#15 Dickinson
The third and final race saw a lot of quiet in the paddock at the RAF gazebos. There was seemingly a lot of focused thought! Due to my quicker lap time I was gridded ahead of Bond and Bartlett. My start was average with Bartlett coming past, Green up ahead and Bond behind. I got stuck in traffic, but got better drive into Park Straight and went side by side with Bartlett (not for the last time in the race!). I then set about Kevin Breedon on an immaculate 250. I had a tussle with him until pulling a not so clean move into the hairpin but came out ahead and started chasing Green and another rider down. I was holding the gap but not making a lot of ground before Green unfortunately pulled out. The scrap of my weekend then ensued. Bartlett got a run on me down Park Straight. We were side by side again and I waved my finger at him ‘I don’t think so!’ once I’d got into 6th gear. We went round Chris Curve within touching distance and I only felt about 50% in control of my bike! He got the better of me before we changed position again at the bottom of the Gooseneck. Some more tussling ensued before I overcooked park corner on the last lap, I nearly got the place back at Mansfield, before I obviously couldn’t cope with the pressure and nearly took the grass at the bottom of the Mountain. Again more time shaved off my best lap and a great race finishing 7th.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#41 Bartlett There was a long wait for race three to come around but from my point of view it was worth it. Starting from 14th place this time I had Green, Dickinson, Bond and Woodward all starting ahead of me due to posting “slightly” faster lap times in the previous race. The flag dropped and I felt like I had made a great start leaving Bond behind and passing Dickinson before the first corner, but again Dickinson’s power advantage came into play down Park Straight when he came by. Woodward and Green both made good progress leaving me to battle with Dickinson. This was a longer race than the previous 2 but I was determined to catch Dickinson and pass him. The first few laps Dickinson seemed to pull a slight gap then I would be back on him again. Behind, Bond had another issue with his Suzuki which meant I never saw him again. Green appeared in front now slowing down so both Dickinson and I went past him. Next Woodward pulled off with a mechanical issue leaving Dickinson as the top RAF rider with me desperately trying to pass him, sitting just a bike’s length behind him for around 3 laps. With 2 laps to go my moment came as I went round the outside of Dickinson at Charlie’s and sat side by side with him going all the way down the Park Straight. He had the inside line and made it clear with a little hand gesture just a few inches away from me that he was not letting me past, he kept the line and I had to slot in behind again. The next lap gave me another opportunity going round Chris’s Curve, sat on the inside and again just an inch or two apart from each other but this time I had track position and went into the lead. He took the place back again with a brave move going into the chicane. I was now on the last lap, tucked in as much as I physically could, a few bike lengths behind Dickinson heading down Park Straight, but still could not get past him. Then suddenly Dickinson seemed to run wide in Park Corner so I went up the inside and rode as fast as possible with a defensive line for the rest of the lap. That was enough to see me exit Barn Corner ahead of him and hold my place, smashing my previous best lap by just over 2 ½ seconds.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#51 Ridley
My final race had me going well until half way through lap four, when I noticed the left hand faring clips had become loose and the fairing was flapping around a little. This slowed me down as I was trying to hold it together with my knee in the hope that I wouldn’t get black flagged. Luckily this worked or the Marshalls didn’t notice and I was able to finish, even if that meant at a slower pace than I may otherwise have managed.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#54 Bond
I had a poor start position for this race but managed to stay with Bartlett and Dickinson. I had my move past Bartlett planned (who is weak into the hairpin) but was scuppered when the clutch went again which hampered me to the end of race three. Annoyingly it was only the adjuster that had come loose. In hindsight; it could have probably been adjusted on the hoof – but I didn’t and that was the end of the weekend.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#71 Rudd
After checking the engine over and changing the jetting I started race three. Once off the line I was still lacking power but despite this I carried on with the race. This race saw me battling with Heggs; who was obviously in a determined mood as he closed the door on me going downhill in to Mansfield Corner forcing me to grab a handful of brake. The following lap a block pass on the entry into the chicane saw Rudd grab the position. After poorly executed Mountain and Hall bends I fully expected Heggs to battle back, which never came, as I pushed through the hairpin and on to the line finishing 8th.

#56 Flynn
Our final race of the day saw me knock three seconds off my last efforts best time. A bigger grid however knocked me down to 17th despite my better effort.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#74 Heggs
Race three started well with me keeping with the front group for a fair while. I took Bond, on the back straight, during the first lap but I was forced onto the grass as Barny braked to avoid crashing into the back of an erratic Dickinson mid corner. Luckily my bike kept going and I watched Bond sale on by where he shortly after, tried to take a short cut through the chicane with Bartlett, having his own trip on the grass at the same time.

Not long after this the faster group pulled away leaving me on my own again trying different things and generally wishing this was a shorter race. During my final lap I hit a bigger than normal gear box issue driving into Park which left me coasting into the corner stuck between 5th and 6th. By the time I corrected this I had allowed Rudd and a group of Ducatis to catch up and pass me. Bugger!

I got my pace back and quickly caught up to Rudd who was struggling with life as a Suzuki rider. I followed him through the woods presuming he would be quicker which he wasn’t, so I felt no issue following him round the hairpin. This was however a bad idea as a combination of poor entry point and limited talent sent me wide at the exit and into a tyre wall head first. Bugger again.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Racing Team#157 Woodward
Starting on the second row I was determined to have a good finish to the weekend, unfortunately fate had other ideas. Whilst battling for 3rd the 250 started to lose power, by the 4th lap I could hardly hold 4th gear down Park straight, so I retired. A disappointing end to an eventful but not ideal weekend.

In closing

With Cadwell Park in the past and soon forgotten for some, we look forward to the next round in a month’s time. We leave you now with some inspired closing comments from our riders:

#14 Green
Time to get myself fixed and the bike refreshed …  The troops are catching up! On a positive note, the engine I tuned and built won all three races with John Warwick onboard.

#15 Dickinson
Times are coming down and I’m getting a lot closer to Woodward and Lee Clare’s pace so progress is being made. I suspect Cadwell is the last time Bartlett will beat me this season and I don’t think Bond’s Suzuki will have a chance next round. I hope Green is fit to race at full pace soon so I can show him more promise(!) and I suspect Woodward’s days are numbered at the top of the RAF tree.

#51 Ridley
Another good weekend for me in terms of lessons learned and track experience. I’m looking forward to better results at the next meet.

#74 Heggs
I made some real improvements over this racing weekend and found a few areas for improvement. The plus side of my spill is I have that behind me now and you aren’t a real racer till you have fallen off anyway, just ask Sy! The bike and I are fairly simple fixes to get us both roadworthy. A bit of time concentrating on my short comings should see me more competitive for the next meeting in a month’s time.

#157 Woodward
They are all getting quicker and developing illusions of grandeur, but it is one thing to catch me, a completely different thing to get past ;-).

As ever we extend our thanks to, Craig Hornsby, John Walton and Roy Dale for their team support. Further thanks go to our friends and family both who attended and supported from home.

Photo: The Royal Air Force Classic Motorcycle Racing Team

Visit the Royal Air Force Classic Racers website and Facebook group page for more racing news:
Website Facebook

Cormac Conroy

Cormac Conroy competed in round four of the CRMC Championship on the weekend of 11th – 12th June 2017 with GPFAX brake pads on his Ryan Triples.
Cormac Conroy’s race report follows:
Cadwell Park Race Report

Cormac was riding the Ryan Triples for this event & Brendan Ryan had been busy in the workshop working hard on the bikes since their last outing.

Seven races in total were planned over the two days, three Classic 1300, three Formula 750 and the Feature Race. Cormac was looking forward to getting back out on a track he hadn’t raced on since 2015.

First race was the “Classic 1300cc,” Cormac got quickly up to speed and managed to finish 2nd in class and followed that up with two more second place finishes in that class. It was in the Formula 750 race that Cormac scored his only win of the weekend and backed this up with two more 2nd place finishes.

The team were delighted with the result which has moved Cormac into the lead of the Formula 750 Championship if only by a small margin & 4th in the Classic 1300cc Championship, he will work very hard to continue this good form over the second half of the season.

The feature race of the weekend was the “Colin Breeze Trophy Race”. Cormac again had a great run to finish 7th overall and first ‘Classic Bike’.

Next up is FIM Europe ECS Endurance at the iconic Circuit Spa Francorchamps over the weekend of 30th June – 1st July 2017. Cormac is back with the French “Team Classic Racer Nice” partnered with Patrick Banfield on board the beautiful P&M Kawasaki.

Visit Cormac Conroy’s media sites for more news and technical information:
Facebook Link

Dave Holden Racing
Lewis Blackstock & Paddy Rosney

Dave Holden Racing are a two man sidecar racing team made up of driver Lewis Blackstock and passenger Paddy Rosney. They are currently competing in the FIM World Sidecar Championship equipped with EBC organic brake pads.
Here is the latest team news:

Its been a busy last five weeks for the boys, starting with the 2nd round of the FIM World Sidecar Championship in Oschersleben, Germany. Having never been to the track before like most of them in the World Championship, the boys used both free practice and some qualifying to get up to speed before setting a respectable lap time and qualifying 8th. Race one started good but then as the field spread out turned into a bit of lonely one finishing in 7th place. Race two ended the same as race one again, a lonely one and finishing in 7th position.

Straight from Germany the boys headed to the Isle of Man TT. As this was just their second year competing on the island the aim was clear, progress on lap speed (107mph) and try to get again near to the top 10 (14th first year). Qualifying was a bit hit & miss with the weather and they had a few nights rained off, but by Saturday they had managed to gain number 11 spot setting of first of the qualifiers (numbers 1-10 are seeded).

Race 1 – Nerves and excitement all rolled into one. The boys set off and within the first three miles they had already caught up 10 seconds on the rider in front and passed them, but then after getting around five miles into the first lap they had a mechanical breakdown (gear lever bolt came loose). They did manage to get going again but at this point had lost 10 minutes and were right in last place at 46th. They worked hard for the three lap race and managed to finish in 26th position.

Race 2 – After checking every bolt on the bike at least three times, it was time to start. The boys were on a scalding first lap and came across to start the second lap in 5th position, carrying on as they had done in the first lap. Half way round they had moved up into 3rd.

They came across to start their last lap 10 seconds ahead of 4th but after getting around 15 miles into the 37 3/4 mile track the gap had been halved. The boys did all they could but it just wasn’t meant to be and they ended up finishing in 4th position.

It was still a massive achievement and we’re both over the moon. Not only had we got inside the top ten but had lapped at over 110 mph (110.599 average).

Having had no time to reflect on what had happened in the Isle of Man, the boys hit the road again this time to the Pannonia Ring in Hungary. This is again the first visit to this circuit using free practice to learn the track and gather enough information for qualifying. They did this and qualified in a very respectable 7th position.

Race 1 – After getting an amazing start to 5th position the boys had a good battle throughout the nine lap sprint race and ended finishing in 6th.

Race 2 – Saw nearly an exact copy of race one again getting a good start from 7th on the grid to 5th and ended up finishing in 6th. The boys were both happy as each time they went out onto the track they went faster.

The next round of the FIM World Championship will be in Assen, Netherlands on the 6th August 2017.

Visit Dave Holden Racing’s Facebook page for more news and information:

LRJ Racing
Chloe Jones & Adam Hartgrove

LRJ’s talented young racers Chloe Jones and Adam Hartgrove have had a great season so far and gained excellent results.
Here is race news from their  season so far:
Chloe Jones

Chloe Jones has gone from strength to strength, a really good start to the season in the BMB Mini GP 140.

Round 1 – At Glan y Gores 25th – 26th March 2017 –  Chloe had two 1st places.
Round 2 – At Teeside 15th – 16th April 2017 – Chloe had a 1st and a 3rd place.
Round 3 – At Whilton Mill 6th – 7th May 2017 – Chloe had two 1st places and is leading the championship, so another good start to the season for Chloe.
Round 5 – At LLandow 24th – 25th June 2017

Strange weekend. Chloe’s bike was playing up Friday. Richard Jones changed a few things for the Saturday practice and it all seem OK. Then in the morning it played up again as it was revving out and wasn’t pulling. So we changed a few more things and it seemed to be OK. Chloe qualified 1st in the BMB Mini GP 140 class.

Charlotte Jones

Race one –  Chloe won her class but unfortunately in race two she lost the front end and fell off. She managed to get back on and finished the race in 8th place. We think that gives her enough points to stay at the top of the championship even after missing a whole round.

So although a little upset she is still happy at the same time. We got pulled in for her bike to be checked and she was happy to walk out and tell everyone that her bike is legal.

Chloe said:

Mum’s write up about my weekend says it all, I still had a brilliant weekend! Thank you to all my sponsors and friends that help me and make it so I can ride and keep doing what I love. I will keep doing my best for you all. Thanks to my Dad for jumping over two fences to re-start my bike. Glad you didn’t fall.

Chloe is racing next in round six of the BMB Mini GP 140 at Fulbeck on 8th – 9th July 2017.

Adam Hartgrove

Adam Hartgrove has had a brilliant start to the season in The Bemsee Championship, Team Respro MRO 600.

Round 1 – Brands Hatch 11th – 12th March 2017 – Adam had a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.
Round 3 – Silverstone 29th – 30th April 2017 – Adam had two 1st places and two 3rds.
Round 4 – Snetterton 20th – 21st May 2017 – Adam had two 2nds & two 3rds and pleased to say he is leading the championship so hopefully he will do good for the rest of the season and win the championship.
Round 5 – Donington 17th – 18th June 2017 – Adam finished in 2nd place and still leading the championship.

Pretty gutted to have crashed out of third place today. But still came P2 in the first race of today! Some how managed to extended our championship lead to around 66 points. (we think) In the MRO600 class.

This is the video of my 3rd race and my first overall win in the Team Respro MRO 600 class when I achieved the fastest lap. Thanks to everybody that came and supported me over the three days at Silverstone.

Adam is next racing on 15th – 16th July 2017 at Brands Hatch.

Visit LRJ Racing’s social media sites for more news:
Visit Chloe Jones’ social media sites for more news:
Twitter Facebook
Visit Adam Hartgrove’s social media sites for more news:

Daley Mathison

Daley Mathison has competed in this years’ Isle of Man TT, which took place from 27th May – 9th June 2017. Dayley finished in an impressive 3rd place in the electric bike category just behind Guy Martin.  He also finished 13th position in the Pokerstars Senior Race out of more than 80 competitors.
Daley has been supplied with GPFAX Sintered Road Race Brake Pads for this season’s racing.
Daley’s race report follows:
TT 2017 – Racing Review
Superbike Race 1

Successful day despite not finishing the race. After a fantastic first lap, Daley was already setting personal bests with the BMW. He settled in and was very comfortable on the bike. The first pit stop was slick and we gained valuable time on competitors. Daley moved up to 17th and was battling with the next few riders, up to 15th. As a second pit stop loomed, Daley was set for his best result yet setting a PB of over 125mph. Daley entered the pits on lap four  excited for what the next two laps had to bring.

Photo: Daley Mathison's dodgy tyreHowever it was not meant to be as a problem with the rear tyre was pointed out in the pits. With Daley choosing a six lap race tyre, the team didn’t have a spare ready in the pits, thus forfeiting the race and dropping out of the top 15. Although initially upset, Daley and the team took positives away from the day for the rest of the week.

Superstock Race

Having had no practice on the superstock bike, Daley wasn’t sure how the race would pan out. The team made an educated guess at setting up the bike and headed to the grid. Daley was low down the starting order due to lack of qualifying. Conditions around the mountain course were less than ideal, with high winds affecting many of the fast sections of the course. Daley headed off for lap one and quickly realised that he was going to have to compromise due to the set-up not being perfect. It was to be a long and hard fought race, battling the winds and soft set-up. However, he still managed to work his way through traffic on the road, gaining valuable time in the pitstop and then crossing the line on the last lap, in 23rd place with a bronze replica to add to the collection.

Supersport Race 1

Photo: Daley MathisonAfter minimal time qualifying owing to bad weather conditions, Daley was happy with his qualifying position of 31st, feeling confident he could improve drastically during the race. By the end of lap one Daley had fought his way to 20th position and still had more in the tank. At the end of lap two, Daley entered the pits in 18th position. After an average pit stop, Daley was back out on track, recharged and ready for the next two laps, having to find 30 seconds to the next rider and traffic coming into play. Lap three saw Daley step up to 16th position. He crossed the line on the last lap, doing his fastest lap of the race at 122.5mph, maintaining 16th and winning a stunning silver replica, recording his best ever result in the IoM.


Photo: Daley MathisonAfter a challenging week’s practice, only getting to Braddon Bridge in the first night, the electrical gremlins plagued the team and prevented them from starting the following session.  Due to bad weather conditions, two practice sessions were cancelled meaning we were entering the race blind, having not completed a full lap of the TT course.  Nevertheless, the bikes lined up on Glencrutchery Road – damp track conditions meant that it would be less than ideal for superbikes it however, wouldn’t plague the electric race.

Daley and the team were optimistic however, with the lack of track time, their expectations were tainted.  As the first few bikes left the starting grid, anticipation mounted and soon it was all eyes on Daley Mathison under the archway. Daley set off in 4th position and had Dean Harrison on the Sarolea in front of him on the road.  He quickly felt at home, on a bike which was very similar to the one which he had ridden to success, in previous years.  As his confidence built, Daley began to reel in Harrison’s machine, quickly making up the 10 seconds which he started behind him.  The bike responded great through the fast flatout sections of the course.  However, when it came to the long climb up the mountain, Harrison seemed to have more acceleration and came back past Daley and slowly started to pull away.  Once up on the mountain, the Wurth Electronics Nottingham University bike came into its own.  It quickly made up the gap, which Harrison had created climbing the mountain. After a brief battle on track, Daley started to pull away once more increasing his lead from 10 seconds, to upwards of 20 seconds.  Only 1mph slower than the full factory Mugen machine ridden by Guy Martin crossing the line in a fantastic 3rd position.  The team were delighted and Daley celebrated with a huge burnout in the winners’ enclosure, again enjoying the ecstasy of gaining another TT podium.

Pokerstars Senior Race

Photo: Daley MathisonStill beaming after the early morning electric race, it was time for Daley to come back down to earth for the pinnacle of the TT – the grand final race. Nerves began to build as over 80 machines took their places on the grid.  Starting 34th on the grid, Daley was confident that he could improve on his starting position after such a great start to the Superbike race at the start of the week. A gruelling 6 laps lay ahead, as Mathison took his place under the arch.  The Stobart BMW roared, as Daley dropped the clutch and took off, down Bray Hill.  As he headed into Laurel Bank, the bike developed a problem with the quick shifter, meaning he couldn’t change up or down without using the clutch which seriously upset the bike during corners – losing time down the straights.  Daley struggled on into the 2nd lap, fighting the bike but not making up much ground. Fortunately for him, the race was cut short due to an incident on the mountain.  All the bikes were stopped around the course and Daley was quickly able to identify the problem beside the track, something that he was able to fix, there and then.  The bikes headed back round to the start line once the incident was cleared and were given enough time for fresh tyres and a refuel.  The race would be restarted and the race distance was changed to 4 laps. Daley made some small adjustments to the suspension during this time and again, joined the bikes on the startline.  Daley attacked the start and quickly started to gain places. By the end of lap one, he had made his way to 20th place, then continuing to gain ground throughout lap two.  The team ensured a quick pitstop, with a seamless wheel change and fuel fill.  Daley was back out on track to start his 3rd lap in no time.  By the end of lap three, Daley was up to 15th position and had already caught and passed many of the bikes in front of him on the road.  As he entered lap four, he was in heavy traffic, catching slower riders in front of him however, he had great confidence in passing them and chasing the bikes in front of him which in turn, helped his lap time.  Daley finally crossed the finish line in 13th position, setting a new personal best record of 127.228 overage speed over the whole lap and also a personal best race finish.

TT Overview/Feedback

Photo: Daley MathisonDaley and the team were ecstatic with this year’s TT results.  Not only coming back faster and stronger, but smashing his personal bests in all categories.  Throughout the 2 weeks, the Eddie Stobart BMWs performed faultlessly and Daley was massively impressed in the difference from last year. Also, Steve Wheatman’s Suzuki GSXR 600 once again did us proud in the Supersport class with thanks to Tony Bass (Slick Performance) for providing another superb engine. Nottingham University UoN-02 made huge leaps forward, allowing us to lap almost 2 minutes quicker than last year – credit to the team.

Visit Daley Mathison’s website and social media sites for more news and information:
Website Facebook Twitter “Instagram
Maria Costello MBE in action!

Maria Costello MBE

Maria Costello MBE has competed in this year’s Isle of Man TT, which took place on 27th May – 9th June 2017. Maria is a long term assisted EBC Brakes racer and has Double-H™ Sintered Superbike and GPFAX Sintered brake pads fitted on her Kawasaki ER6 Supertwin bike.
Maria’s race report follows:

Northamptonshire racer, Maria Costello MBE scored another Bronze TT Replica finish when she took a highly creditable 18th place in the Bennetts Lightweight TT, despite some adversity.

Maria arrived on the Isle of Man with the aim of improving on last year’s career best of 12th position. Her EBC equipped Kawasaki ER6 Supertwin and was ready for a full week of practice ahead of the Lightweight TT race.

Bad weather played havoc with the practice schedule and all competitors lost the majority of their initial sessions. The organisers battled against the weather to provide other options, including a long session for the Lightweight class. Two incidents, one non-racing related, hampered the session but Maria was close to her personal best on her third lap and knew she could make final adjustments in the final week’s remaining practice laps. Weather caused her final practice to be cancelled and Costello was forced to take a gamble on set-up.

A therefore apprehensive Costello would start the race as the 23rd bike on the road in a line up of 39 entrants in the Lightweight class.

Even before reaching Bray Hill, Maria encountered a failing quickshifter which continued to repeatedly cut the ignition until it stopped working completely. Despite this she had made a great start and was up to 12th place as she reached the first checkpoint at Glen Helen on lap one.

Maria had a massive moment and was almost off the bike at White Gates on lap two, she had to change her riding style to compensate for the handling issues, but even with having to slow down to stop at the pits for fuel at the end of lap two, Maria would still record her fastest lap of the race, averaging 112.200mph.

Photo: Maria Costello MBEA brilliant pit stop by her team of fuel man Liam Beckett, Kev Corbally & Jon McClean meant Maria was now back up to 15th place by Glen Helen on lap three.

With a full tank of fuel Maria was again battling with her own motorcycle in addition to the racers around her and entered the last lap of the race just holding onto 15th position by a fraction from two fast closing riders, but as the problems worsened, Maria dropped to 18th in the standings with the final lap of 110.798mph telling its own story.

Costello was pragmatic as she reflected on the result and said:

I’m so happy with 18th after that race, it felt like one of the hardest of my career around here. Another practice lap would have revealed those problems I faced but the organisers were against it with the bad weather, so I had to take a gamble on set-up, it’s been a tricky TT for everyone. For sure it would have been easier to park the bike, but as it’s my only race of the week, I was never going to do that, but that beer in the beer tent never tasted so good.

Visit Maria Costello MBE's Social Media Sites for more news:
Website Twitter Facebook “YouTube

 More EBC Brakes Product Details:

GPFAX Sintered Road Race Brake Pads

EBC GPFAX Sintered Road Race Brake Pads
The GPFAX Formula Sintered Race pads are a direct replacement of the GPFA series. This formula is even higher in friction and created specifically to be used only on asphalt surfaces such as those found in race track conditions. Because of the super performance that they provide, these brake pads are a growing favourite choice of superbike racers.

Another benefit of the GPFAX sintered material is that it now has even better heat cycling ability allowing the brake pads to be raced, cooled, then raced again.

EBC Brakes EPFA Sintered Fast Street and Trackday Pads

EBC EPFA Sintered Fast Street and Trackday Pads
EPFA Sintered Fast Street and Trackday Pads, also known as EPFA brake pads, are the racers choice for superbike racing and are excellent for street use too! These brake pads are fantastic for motorcycle racing as the compound they are made from has extra friction stabilizing additives that totally improve the ‘heat cycling’ braking effect.

EBC Brakes Double-H™ Sintered Superbike Brake Pads

EBC Double-H™ Sintered Superbike Brake PadsEBC Double-H™ pads are the top choice street legal brake pads you can buy for the best grip.

Made from sintered copper alloy, these brake pads benefit from the highest friction HH rating for maximum stopping power. EBC Double-H™ Superbike pads give perfect braking under all riding conditions, be it wet, dry, hot or cold. Unique stainless steel radiator plates are fitted when required to reduce heat transfer into the hydraulics of the motorbike. The double segment vented design is totally unique and keeps the pads cooler and prevents pad drag and overheat or fade.

EBC Brakes Organic Motorcycle Brake Pads

EBC Organic Motorcycle Brake Pads
EBC Organic motorcycle brake pads are Europe’s first and only ECE R90 approved brake pad. Manufactured at EFI in Bristol, these brake pads perform as well as any sintered pads, as proved by R90 compliance. This ‘aramid’ series has now been renamed Non-Asbestos Organic or NAO and is created from aramid fibre in conjunction with other high tech modern fibres. If you want a value for money all round brake pad replacement then the NAO series is the perfect choice for all levels of motorcycle and is very popular with many riders who prefer the “feel” of organic pads.

EBC Brakes Floating MC Discs/Rotors

EBC Floating MC Discs/RotorsEBC floating MC rotors or X & XC brake disc rotors as they are sometimes known, are ultra lightweight, best selling and best performance discs available for all modern racing sport bikes.

The rotors benefit from the EBC Brakes unique and patented S-Drive button system that features square sided rivets captured in square drive pockets on the hub and rotor. These are in place to allow the outer rotor blade to expand and contract freely under the heat of braking without suffering rivet lock.

EBC Brakes High Performance Brake Lines

EBC Bluestuf NDX Brake Pads

EBC Brakes’ range of UK manufactured high performance braided steel brake lines are 100% pressure tested, guaranteed to be leak free and give a firmer, more responsive feel compared to rubber lines.

All of our brake lines not only meet our own stringent standards but they are also approved by TÜV, DOT, ADR and ISO.

All of our brake line kits are a direct replacement of the original manufacturers lines therefore they fit first time, every time – no need for adjusting angles or using universal fittings that do not fit.

Leave a Reply