- Fully floating 2-piece rotor that allows outer ring to expand freely in response to heat. This reduces stress which in turn extends rotor life and reduces the tendency for rotor cracking during extreme use.
- Drive bobbins machined from a single piece of stainless steel giving maximum strength and corrosion resistance. Stainless bobbins reduce the requirement for regular disc maintenance and ensures the outer ring continues to float freely even when used on the public road with corrosive salts and other road grime.
- Each bobbin assembly features an anti-rattle spring clip ensuring silent operation when driving on the public highway
- Rotor rings feature 48 directional internal curved vanes for improved rotor coolin
- Friction rings are cast from high carbon G3500 alloy giving excellent wear properties and improved thermal capacity. All EBC disc rings are cast using the ‘centre split’ casting method, ensuring a balanced casting that will not distort under high heat, an issue common with cheaper ‘moulded out’ castings.
- Unique Swept Groove slot design for effective evacuation of braking dust and gasses whilst ensuring good initial ‘bite’ on brake apply
- Replacement disc rings for EBC floating rotors are significantly less expensive than our major competitors.
Floating MC Rotors
Floating MC Rotors
Ultra lightweight EBC Brakes X series floating front MC rotors since their introduction, have become one if the worlds best selling lightest and best performing discs available for all modern sport bikes, available from EBC Brakes dealers across the USA although as a new line many dealers will have to special order these for you (takes 2-3 days). Floating MC rotors feature EBC Brakes unique and patented S-Drive button system which features square sided rivets captured in square drive pockets on the rotor and hub which allow the outer rotor blade to expand and contract freely under the heat of braking without suffering rivet lock.
As the design of Motorcycles progressed over the last 10 years with machines getting lighter, more powerful and faster the demand on Motorcycle brakes has increased. Great technical forward movements such as 4 and 6 piston calipers and more recently the radial caliper have helped stop motorcycles faster but there has been, until now little progress made on brake rotors. There have been attempts to reduce weight on rotors, usually by drilling more holes in the rotor blade but always the OEM builders have used the boring “Round Style” rivet or drive button technology.
This outdated method of building rotors has now been consigned to the history books as EBC Brakes proudly announces the arrival of a new and patented design of drive button known as the SD System. SD stands for Square Drive which describes the button designs used in the new EBC X and XC rotors.
X and XC Floating MC rotors are the lightest rotors you can buy, they will eliminate all your vibration problems and last longer than conventional rotors using round button technology. Both designs further reduce weight by using only six drive buttons. This further reduces the unit weight by up to 300 grammes.
- X rotors feature full circle, circular rotor blades.
- XC rotors feature a contoured lighter weight profile.
Both Floating MC rotors feature mill hard stainless steel high friction rotor blades for maximum brake effect and are direct size for size replacements for OEM rotors. Both designs are also true fully floating units, offering more inside to outside float tolerance than any other rotor on the planet.
Do not confuse floating rotors with rotors that feature loose rotors blades or buttons. You should not be able to move either the buttons or rotor blades from side to side, if you can, it is highly likely that pad “Knock Back” will occur and you will end up with spongy brakes. Float means outside to inside heat expansion ability. That is what EBC X and XC rotors deliver and no other rotor can.
Always use new pads when replacing rotors, the use of old or worn pads can cause hot spots or glazing of the rotor and will promote brake fade and loss of brake.
WARNING – MATRIX BRAKE ROTORS/DISCS AND EBC PAD COMPATIBILITY – Click to ViewEBC Brakes do NOT recommend or endorse metal matrix, ceramic or composite discs and EBC brakes pads are NOT compatible with these and will cause DISC damage. If in the years to come this changes, this message will be modified.
Rivet lock is the term used when rotors heat up under heavy braking and the rotor blade contacts the (normally circular) rivets that separate the inner rotor hub and the outer rotor blade. The new EBC Brakes system completely eliminates this problem area which causes 100% of the failures of rotors suffering from distortion and brake vibration. These rotors are equipped with the new EBC Brakes patented S-Drive system.
EBC ProLite XC contour rotors are the toughest and yet the lightest sport and race brake rotors you can put on your bikes for many reasons and here is why these are best.
- Contoured profile reduces weight by 7.5% without reducing actual “cooling mass” of disc.
- New German mill rolled heat treated stainless steel rotor blade.
- Vertical scraper slot system removes dirt, dust and debris quickly from braking area.
- Unique fully overlapping vent hole pattern reduces weight, cleans disc blade and helps deglaze pads.
- New Patented Stainless Steel SD (square drive) button drive system, prevent warping and vibration totally system – click here for full tech info. 6) Ultra lightweight ductile alloy centre hub.
- Use of SD system allows less drive buttons, in the case of EBC we are down to six buttons
- Full stainless components, no rusty parts and that’s guaranteed.
For over 30 years EBC has been the number one in brake pads and these new XC Contour rotors stake the EBC claim to the rotor market leadership. These rotors can be used on the street, track-days or Road Racing and hundreds of privateer teams all over the world race these.